Sunday, February 10, 2008





It is difficult to describe all of the training that goes on here at The Basic School so I am posting these videos that someone else made to show what we do every day.

This week as I was trying to ignore my throbbing feet and my aching back on our 2.5 mile hump that we did in 28 minutes with 70lbs of gear on our back, I was thinking of how odd this all would be to us if we were still in the civilian world. But now that we are Marines, it is just another day in the Corps.

Monday of this past week was the most miserable day of my life. As we stood in formation at 0430 the rain poured on us, soaking all of our clothes and gear. The next 14 hours were spend in the rain and mud as we humped out to the rifle range and sat in various uncomfortable firing positions sending close to 100 rounds down range at targets from 200 to 500 yards. It was about 32 degrees outside; just warm enough for the rain not to be snow. I do not know what was worse, the pain of frozen fingers and toes or the mud seeping down our pants. But this is the life that all of us have chosen.

As the week progressed, the weather got warmer and dryer and we had little to complain about except for the fact that a water pipe in the barracks had burst leaving us without water which made everyone smell all the more.
Friday was qualification day for both the M16A2 service rifle and the M9 Beretta 9mm pistol. I was delighted that I shot well on both earning a double expert award.

On to more important things...

I have been approved for an out-of-bounds liberty pass for the upcoming 72 liberty which means that I am flying home to Minnesota on Saturday the 16th and staying there for 3 entire days. I am so excited to see Gena, Bryna, Livia and of course Charlie. I also hope to be able to spend some time with our friends.

Semper Fi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home